All of us are members of communities.
If you are reading this, chances are you are a member of the Iowa City West High School Class of 1973. You are also part of a family, a circle of friends and neighbors, as well a citizen of your town, state, and nation.
This page is where we share how we engage with the world and where we make a difference by sharing our time, our talents, and our treasures.
We can also make a difference by sharing our challenges with each other. It is always helpful to know that you are not the only one in the world facing your particular challenge.
Engaging with the World
- Anti-Human TraffickingHi Dave: I’m an advocate for anti-human trafficking. I volunteer as a youth presenter in schools for ages 12+. I’m with an organization called Chains Interrupted based in Cedar Rapids. The founder has worked alongside Tim Ballard, who was featured in the recent movie Sound of Freedom. God’s children are not for sale. Nancy Masbruch Olinger
Helping with Our Challenges
- Elder Care SupportDave, I’ve been care giving for 19 years now. I’d be happy to give tips to anyone wanting to make things safe for an elderly loved one – I have so many tips I’ve put into place between my late husband Tom and dad and now mom – and many are money savers as well. Ruth Jurgens ...
- ALS SupportHi Dave: You may add my name as a resource for persons facing ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis). In particular, from the perspective of a caregiver, who in the ALS world are known as cALS (persons with the disease are called pALS). No cause or cure … terminal 100% of the time. Nancy Masbruch Olinger
- Depression/PTSD/Anxiety and Related Disorders SupportI have had bouts of severe depression for most of my life. If I can help, let me know. Just because there is a smile on someones face does not mean that they aren’t desperately trying to make it through one day at a time. Edith Sieg
- Hip Replacement SupportHaving just celebrated the 3-month mark after a hip replacement, I can share a thing or two about this medical procedure. Edith Sieg
- Allergies and Asthma SupportLong ago, 1989/1990 my daughter became so sick with allergy caused Asthma, that at age 1 1/2 she was in an oxygen tent and tugging unhappily on the medical transfusions entering her bloodstream in the hospital. At that point no one could guarantee me that she would live to see her second birthday. Since then ...
- Family Mental Health SupportClassmates, As we have passed our 20th year caring for our daughter Bessie as she struggles with crippling anxiety and bipolar disorder, my wife Bobbi and I can provide you a listening ear and perhaps some valued perspective if you have a family member struggling with these mental health challenges. Dave Gerlits
- Pacemaker SupportHi Dave!! If anyone needs a support person for pacemakers I am here for them. I am working on my second one! Deb Gardner Persons